Fishing in the wonderful island of Socotra is a unique experience for wild fishing anglers (popping, vertical jigging, light spinning, fly fishing)
Our fishing program will include:
- Ministry fishing fees and agreement with local fishermen/villages
- Accommodation at your choice in hotel (Hadibo) or camp-sites (Socotra Dream Tours Fishing Camp: private tents, cooking service and ice boxes for your drinks; main tent for meals, table and chairs, umbrellas; fresh water for shower; technical toilet)
- Food prepared by our cooks at camp-sites or in local restaurants (rice or pasta, vegetable soups, fishes, lobster, goat meat, eggs, cheese, local bread, milk, coffee, tea, honey or other spreads for breakfast, soft drinks)
- Transfer to fishing sites: 4x4car (Toyota land cruiser) and pick up for your equipment
- Local boats (7/8m, engine 15/40cv), 2pax/boat
- English speaking guide, Arabic speaking captain
Fishing day: Breakfast will be served very early (5:00am) to exploit the best part of the day on the sea. After a short transfer you will reach the most interesting fishing spots, not so far from the coast. Fishing trips in the mornings last about 6 hours: boats are coxed by local fishermen very well skilled in this sea/ocean and traditional fishing but not such well trained in modern fishing techniques since popper has been introduced here just recently, in 2010. Most of anglers prefer to practice popping; vertical jigging is possible but not so common. After lunch, served on the beaches in the shadow of a comfortable tent, it is possible to relax and enjoy the nature of the island. Later you can do more fishing as spinning from the cost (at your choice white send beaches or cliffs) or from the boas, ready at your service all the time.
Fishes: Giant Trevally, yellow fin tuna, sail fish, spanish makerel, red snapper, blue fin trevally, yellow fin trevally, grouper, coral trout, sharks, dog tooth tuna, emperor, rusty job fish, green job fish, rosy job fish, bonefish, treadfin.
Click here for more pictures
Fishing trips can be arranged as a part of your afternoon programme or you can make it the main activity of your stay. Usually, tourists go fishing with a small fisherman’s boat . You will be provided with a fishing rope and bites. After coming back, you can have your catch cooked for dinner in one of the eco-camps.
It i also possible to join local fishermen for their common fishing expeditions. A great adventure is fishing sharks overnight with setting out in late afternoon and coming back the next morning. Using nets and relying only on traditional navigation methods will be the ultimate experience of your holiday.
Another possibility is to try fishing during the boat trip from Qalansiya to Shouab beach, which is generally included in most of the programs on the island. Meanwhile dolphins watching, you will have a chance to catch a fish that you can eat later for your dinner while camping on the Shouab beach.